My goal in this piece was to present an at first "traditional" piece of music, which slowly devolves into inharmonic, atmospheric sound and noise. I was greatly inspired by the McLuhan idea that "everything we do is music." I wanted to use the juxtaposition of a more traditional, acoustic (in timbre) style of music, with the electronic, artificial sounds of the synthesizer. I've always been fascinated with the increasing ability of  electronic instruments to render convincing acoustic sounds. Though it may be an example of new media doing to the work of the old, I think it's extremely useful to be able to have such a vast collection of instruments at one's disposal, requiring only basic keyboard skills in order to play them. This electronic-acoustic hybrid (using samples) gives way to many interesting possibilities involving the combination of acoustic and electronic instruments, which is what I've tried to showcase here. 

I experimented a lot with automation, and while the volume automation is the most clearly audible, the LFO modulation on the acoustic tracks is an important subtlety as the music begins to blend into the synthesizers in my opinion.

Here is my track: https://soundcloud.com/sebastian-evans-218351167/newmediaevans


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyle Rexer Reflection

Journal 1: Conveying Meaning in Advertising

Tim Sullivan Reflection